Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Retirement 401K i.e. TSP

Hello all,

Thank you so much for commenting on my first posting about my individual stock holdings.  I really appreciated the blogging vets viewing and commenting on my posting.  I've found inspiration from your blogs and will continue reading, learning and sharing along the way.  I have to admit, it’s a little addictive. 

In this post, I’m going to detail my retirement holdings, which is a part of my overall strategy to build wealth and live an enjoyable retirement at a young age.  I've very fortunate to have a career that has very good benefits that affords a pension retirement, along with a 401k type investing plan. 

My 401k type plan is known as the Thrift Savings Plan or TSP for short.  I've seen some fellow bloggers that contribute to the plan, so some know about it at least.  I contribute to the plan on a bi-weekly basis, which has a few options for investments (not many but it is decent).  You have the ability to control your contributions by percentages or dollar amount to specific funds, and are able to shift funds twice monthly.  I’m passive with this account but will change allocations at times to maximize returns.  Currently, the value of the account is $47,131.  My current allocations are 60% to the C Fund, 20% to the I Fund, and 20% to the S Fund.  Overall, my past 12 month performance is 22.05%.  

Here is a summary of the funds, from TSP: 
C Fund:  “Stocks of large and medium-sized U.S. companies” that attempt to match S&P 500
I Fund: “International stocks of 21 developed countries” to match Morgan Stanley Capital International EAFE 
S Fund:  “Stocks of small to medium-sized U.S. companies (not included in the C Fund)” 

I hope that didn't bore you, but I plan on detailing this account sporadically, to keep the larger picture of my overall investment plan.  It’s not as sexy as DGI. ;)   
Any other TSPer’s out there?  

2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of TSP accounts if you are a government employee, they have extremely low fund fees of about .029% for 2013. I have had it for over 6 years now and it has accumulated to nice $9,400. I hold 100% in C fund as it has given me 12 month return of 25.34%. Though, that money is behind the scenes and I have no idea what is going on. It is much more motivating to save when you see dividends rolling every month, this is why my DGI portfolio is much larger than TSP.

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my little blog. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress.

      I agree with you. I find DGI more exciting. The TSP is an excellent plan, as you mentioned with low fees. For me, I get the match so it's a no brainer to at least invest to the max match, which is 5%. I was putting in a little more, but decided to invest in individual stocks with the extra money. I'm liking it so far and have no plans on turning back.

      Delete