Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Investment Property

As I mentioned in one posting, one of the areas I’m engaged in for income generation and eventual overall wealth is an investment property.  It is merely one prong of my overall investment strategy, which includes dividend growth investing and retirement investment accounts.  Frankly, it is my least favorite and one that I’m always anxious about.   

I currently own, or at least like to call myself that as the bank truly owns it, one investment property, which is a single family home.  This is a hands off investment property, as the house is located in another state and I utilize a property manager at the moment.  I purchased the house right before the housing crash, so my interest rate is horrible in comparison to what is available now.  Luckily for me, the home is in a great market and has never sat idle for any length of time.  However, I would still like to refinance soon, if it would be practical with a lower rate and substantially lowering my monthly payment. 

Breakdown:
Loan outstanding – approximately $130,000
Zillow estimate – approximately $175,000 
Equity –   + $45,000 (Although I’m not really interested in equity value as this can change dramatically over time)
Loan payment - $845
Rent income - $1300 minus management fees of $130 = $1170
Positive cash flow = $325 monthly


The plan for the property is to continue paying down principal with any excess income generated from the property, which is typically $325 monthly.  I would like to refinance the house to lower my monthly payment, which will increase my income.  However, I’ve heard it is more difficult to refinance a rental property, so I’ve been hesitant.  In addition, I plan on raising the rent for the next tenant, as the amount has been stale for the past three years and estimates for rent indicate $1450 as a fair value.  

2 comments:

  1. To date, i do not own any investment property, but I am not against it. For now the cleanest and simplest form of investment for me comes from stocks but I have been reading among many dividend bloggers about their real estate investment portfolio too. gets me thinking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! It's definitely the most worrisome for me, as the potential is there for you to literally come out of pocket I.e. no renters, bad renters, repairs etc. However, you can make some decent money in the long term with them. I'm sticking to one for the time being and may add another down the road.

    ReplyDelete