Monday, December 1, 2014

Weekly Investment Activity – Dividend Growth Investing

Weekly Investment Activity – Dividend Growth Investing

Hello everyone,

It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving has come and gone, and the year is almost up.  Time flies!  In that regard, another week is in the books and with it being a short week here in the states, it flew by.  I had some investments go through during the week, as I added to existing positions through my main brokerage, Loyal3 and direct investing.  In addition, I contributed to my Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) and saved some extra capital for another purchase.  I ended up missing a buy on Friday, as I completely forgot that the NYSE was closing early and was trying to watch how far energy stocks would slide.  Oh well, there is always Monday and I’m hoping to add to my BBL or BP position.  This posting will detail my investment activity from November 24 to November 28. 

Dividend Growth Investing:

I made one purchase in my main brokerage account.  I added to my position in BHP BILLITON PLC (BBL), which I had just initiated last week.  It was hard to resist, as BHP has been severely hammered since the summer and it is allowing a nice entry point to invest.  Furthermore, the Yield on Cost (YOC) is hanging around near 5%, which is just too tempting.  I bought 10 shares at $50.44 per share for a total price of $504.40, which brings me to a position total of 21 shares. 

In my direct investment account, I had one buy go through, as I contributed $55.00 to my ConocoPhillips (COP) investment.  The share price was $65.97, which purchased me 0.833712 shares.  I now have 4.455058 shares of COP, which I’m slowly accumulating through monthly purchases. 

Lastly, I had several small purchases executed in my Loyal3 account.  I’m beginning to tone down these purchases without the credit card benefit, especially with better value in stocks not available through Loyal3.  I contributed $35.00 to add to my Unilever (UL) position, which added 0.8406 shares at a share price of $41.64.  In addition, I contributed $25.00 to add to my Walt Disney Co. (DIS) position, as it purchased me 0.2724 shares at a share price of $91.79. 

Breakdown:

BHP Billiton PLC (BBL): $504.40 invested for 10 shares
ConocoPhillips (COP): $55.00 invested for 0.833712 shares
Unilever (UL):  $35.00 invested for 0.8406 shares
The Walt Disney Co. (DIS):  $25.00 invested for 0.2724 shares

Thrift Savings Plan:

During the week, I had a bi-weekly contribution to my Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account.  I contributed approximately $415, which was spread out between the C Fund (Common Stock Index), S Fund (Small Cap Stock Index) and the I Fund (International Stock Index).  The allocations were spread out at 52%, 28% and 20% respectively.  Also, as another milestone, my TSP account now sits above $50,000! 

Summary:

Well another week down, as I keep adding weekly to my portfolio.  Something I noted when I was writing this post is that I have made a weekly purchase since starting this blog, which is awesome!  I doubt I can keep up the pace but I’m trying to really kick start my portfolio in overdrive to benefit from the compounding effect.  Overall, I was able to invest $1,034.40 this week, as I added to four (4) positions, BBL, COP, DIS and UL, and I added to my Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).  

Special Agent Dividend

16 comments:

  1. Agent Dividend,

    Nice work adding quite a bit to your positions - even if some of them are $50 additions - cash flowing assets are better than cash! Congrats - also bought BBL as well on Friday. Keep it up!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lanny! I agree, even small amounts can add up and it's better than it sitting idle. Awesome on the BBL buy! I wish I would have grabbed some more on Friday with such a huge drop. It will be an interesting week to see how it all pans out.

      Delete
  2. Good job picking up all those shares, Agent. I wish I had more capital to buy...but thats the name of the game. I will be looking to replenish my cash position and wait a bit before buying more.

    Best wishes
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya.. I wish I had a lot more stashed away so I could really get this going. But, as you said, it's the name of the game, and we have plenty of time to build our wealth.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on breaking the 50K mark in your TSP! That's awesome man. I did the same thing with regards to forgetting about the market closing early Friday. Was about to put in a buy order for BP and then realized it was too late. Oh well, we should get a chance at some oil stock bargains again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I really appreciate it. I loved seeing it cross 50k, as it made it seem like a drastic difference than 49k lol. Can't wait to hit 100k now!!

      I was so mad at myself when I let the market close, but lessons learned! I was expecting them to decline quite a bit today too, but seemed to have the opposite effect with people buying them up.

      Delete
  4. Man, you'll be happy you missed buying BHP and BP on friday! They've both lost significantly again today.

    Keep up the great progress!
    NMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by NMW! I really appreciate it. I was hoping for a greater drop, but I'll take what I can get. I ended up going with BP!

      Delete
  5. I really like BBL around now, so I don't blame you for adding. I think I'll actually be joining you as a shareholder this week! COP and the other oil guys look appealing too, especially after Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yea.. jump on the train man! I wish I had some more capital to buy even more BBL and some other energy plays. I'm thinking we will still see some drop though. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Agent Dividend,
    You just love to get busy huh! Keep up the good work and keep investing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's addictive let me tell you! I'm loving this new outlook on life and investing for the future... if only I had more money to invest!!

      Delete
  7. Great work adding to some solid companies. I'm really liking your weekly purchases because you'll have so many different opportunities in the long run this way. Congrats on reaching 50K in the TSP, you're on track for a serious looking overall portfolio!

    Best,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! I love the small purchases as well, as it keeps me focused on investing. I love plugging in the small numbers to my portfolio routinely and seeing the increases in value and dividend income.

      I loved seeing it hit 50k! My hope is to have a huge pot in my TSP account and not have to use it when I retire, as I will be using my pensions and my DGI portfolios to live off of. I would love to have that money to give to my children eventually or take a vacation here or there :)

      Delete
  8. Nice pick up SAD...BBL has been a very popular buy these days. I found 9 separate DGI bloggers who had purchased BBL shares in the month of November. With just two days into December, I already found 2 DGI bloggers who've purchased BBL shares. AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good grief! It's amazing how it got hot that quick among our community. I really was considering adding to my BBL position this week, but chose to add to BP instead. If I had more capital, you would have found 3 bloggers that bought BBL this month already ;)

      Delete