Monday, December 1, 2014

Watchlist for December Stock Purchases

Hello everyone,

As it is the beginning of the month, I wanted to detail my stock watch list for December, as I plan on making two purchases this month.  These will be in addition to my regular monthly investments, as I leverage small buys to build positions in some core holdings in my portfolio, such as Proctor & Gamble Company (PG), The Walt Disney Company (DIS) and Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM).  All the buzz of the market now is related to oil and energy based companies, as oil has been on a continual decline since this summer and really hammered on Black Friday.  I've taken advantage of the decline, as I've initiated new positions in BP p.l.c. (BP) and BHP Billiton p.l.c. (BBL) during the past few weeks.  In addition, I continue to invest in XOM and ConocoPhillips (COP) on a monthly basis. 

As of now, I plan on making two purchases during December.  I would like to at least invest in one non-oil based company in one of the two purchases, as I’m getting very heavy in my small portfolio in the energy sector.  As some have suggested in comments, two areas I should consider is the financial sector and the healthcare sector.   

One of the investments I've been considering in the financial realm is the Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS).  I've seen a few fellow bloggers that have picked it up lately, such as roadmap2retire.  As of today, BNS was trading at around $61-$62 and sporting a nice yield of around 3.85%.  BNS is trading at a P/E of around 11.77.  The 52 week low of BNS is $53.94, so it is quite a bit off from that, but still a decent value at this price point.  Here is a summary of BNS:

Bank of Nova Scotia was founded in the state of Canada on March 30, 1832. It commenced operations in Halifax. The Bank is a full-service financial institution, which operates its business in four business lines: Canadian Banking, International Banking, Global Wealth Management and Scotia Capital. Canadian Banking provides a comprehensive array of retail and commercial banking services through branch and electronic delivery channels, to individuals and small to medium-sized businesses in Canada. The retail services include consumer and mortgage lending, credit and debit card services, savings and retirement products, and transaction services.

Concerning the healthcare sector, I've narrowed my possible investment choice to GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK).  The recent closing price was $46.92, which is well off its 52 week high of $56.73.  At the current trading price, the yield is approximately 5.30%.  Summary of GSK:

GlaxoSmithKline PLC incorporated in United Kingdom. The Company creates discovers, develops, manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products including vaccines, over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and health-related consumer products. The Company's principal pharmaceutical products include medicines in the following therapeutic areas: respiratory, anti-viral, central nervous system, cardiovascular and urogenital, metabolic, anti-bacterial, oncology and emesis, dermatology, rare diseases, immuno-inflammation, vaccines and HIV. The Company is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare. Its Pharmaceuticals business develops and makes medicines to treat a broad range of acute and chronic diseases. Its portfolio is made up of both patent-protected and off patent medicines. Its products include treatment for Infectious Diseases, Cancer, Epilepsy, Heart Disease, Asthma and Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and HIV/AIDS. Its Vaccine business has approximately 900 million doses distributed to 170 countries in 2012. It produces pediatric and adult vaccines to prevent a range of infectious diseases including: Hepatitis A and B, Diphtheria, Tetanus and Whooping cough, Measles, Mumps and Rubella, Polio, Typhoid, Influenza, Bacterial Meningitis. The consumer healthcare business, markets consumer health products based on scientific innovation. Its products main categories are: Oral care, Nutritional, Total wellness, and Skin health. Its brands include Sensodyne, Panadol and Horlicks. Its drinks brands are Lucozade and Ribena. The Oral Care brands, alli and Abreva.

I plan on taking advantage of the oil slide as well, and after adding BBL the past few weeks, my first choice right now is BP.  I have a small position in BP and was planning on adding to it at some point, so the drop has opened up that opportunity.  At the current price, BP is yielding a very impressive 6.10%.  I’ll be on the lookout for other opportunities of course, and will be actively watching energy stocks this week. 


What do you think of GSK, BNS, BP?  Any other suggestions? 

10 comments:

  1. BNS is on top of my to buy list but whenever I am about to pull the trigger I would always find something more attractive to me such as BBL but you wont go wrong any way. I am not familiar with GSK but one quick glance turned me off with the high payout ratio. I would prefer BAX. BP is catching my interest together with CVX, XOM, COP as prices of energy are getting hammered. Thanks for sharing you watchlist Agent Dividend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input FFF, as it is valued. I am hesitant with GSK, but liked the current YOC and it's overall value relative to its 52 week high. I'm not sold on it, and leaning 90% to the financial sector, such as BNS or whatever else may pop up at the time. I do like BAX and have them on my radar as well, so thanks for that suggestion. I need to look at them a little more.

      Also, I just bought some BP this week! I decided to jump on it, so I'm writing up a post now about that purchase.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention, Agent. BNS is a great bank and its very well diversified geographically. They recently announced some writedowns and job cuts related to some headwinds in Latin America. The stock is still very attractively priced and my vote goes for BNS :)

    Best wishes
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion R2R! I really appreciate it. The more I hear about BNS (and Canadian Banks in general) the more I like. I'm looking forward to initiating a position soon!

      Delete
  3. I second R2R! BNS is a wonderfully well-run bank and shareholder friendly, and they've got a great international presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seraph! I haven't heard many bad things about BNS, which speaks volumes. I'm liking their numbers, and think it has easily moved to the top of my non-oil buys this month. Unless of course, something just pops up that can't be resisted.

      Delete
  4. Where do you start your research? I keep it with companies that have increased their dividend at least 20 years. Do you have a similar metric? I get it from the CCC list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do look at the CCC list to examine dividend history and use my brokerage account (USAA) for their research tools to examine related companies in a particular sector. Also, I'm an avid reader of our blogging community, so I pay close attention to what is going on around the community and take advice there. I don't have a set criteria yet on the number of years, such as you do with 20. I should start to implement that at some point, but I've been trying to diversify into numerous sectors while sticking to conservative choices for the most part.

      Delete
  5. SAD,

    Thanks for sharing your watchlist!

    As a shareholder of GSK I am happy to hear others are interested in the British healthcare giant too. How do you feel about the long-term risk of GSK? And its currently high payout-ratio?

    Cheers,
    NMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment NMW! I'm definitely concerned about the high payout and potential issues long term with GSK. However, with the addition of some new treatments that have been approved lately for use, the income generated should improve and hopefully widen the gap on EPS and payout ratio. It would certainly be one of my more riskier buys, if I chose to go with GSK. I'm leaning towards a safer bet like BNS, but most likely will look to initiate a small position in GSK or a similar company in the near term.

      Delete