Sunday, October 5, 2014

Monthly Activity - September Investments and Dividends

Hi everyone,

This post is detailing my investment, dividend, and passive income activity for the month of September.  During the month, I invested a total of $2489.20 in fresh capital in my retirement account and dividend growth portfolio, less dividend reinvestment plans.  I received a HUGE $4.87 in dividends, along with $50.00 in credit card rewards and $9.15 in monthly dividends from my bank account.  In addition, I received a positive cash flow of $325 in my investment property.   Here is the breakdown of the activity:

Dividends Received:
I received a grand total of $4.87 in dividends from my investments this month.  Not much by any means, but I can’t wait to look back on this month next year to see the year over year change.  Here is the breakdown:
MCD 1.09
TGT 1.99
WMT .30
INTC .13
LMT .91
XOM .45

Buys:
Most of my investments went to my retirement investment account for the month, along with purchases made in my Loyal3 account, direct investments and my main brokerage.  Overall, I used $2489.20 to put to work in my investments.  I have a goal of contributing at least $1500.00 to investments each month, so I bypassed that goal by a good margin.  Here is the breakdown of my investments:

Retirement Investment Account, Thrift Savings Plan ( TSP ).  I contributed $1240 in my TSP account, which was spread out in the following indexes:
1.  C Fund, Common Stock Index, 60% Allocation
2.  S Fund, Small Cap Index, 20% Allocation
3.  I Fund, International Stock Index, 20% Allocation

Loyal3
I really slacked in my Loyal3 account for the month, as I only contributed $110 overall.  I invested the following:
TGT 20.00
MCD 10.00
WMT 20.00
DIS 25.00
KO 35.00

Brokerage and Direct
My other investments for the month totaled $1139.20.  These were broken down into my monthly contributions to several companies and an addition to my holding in Apple.  Here are the purchases:
-          ConocoPhillips (COP):  55.00 in new capital invested for 0.6794 shares
-          Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM):   65.00 invested for 0.658294 shares
-          Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ):  60.00 invested for 1.212121
-          Lockheed Martin Corporation ( LMT ):  Invested $66.00 at a purchase price of $179.06 for .368585 shares.
-          -          Apple ( AAPL ):  I purchased 9 shares for a cost of 98.25 for a total amount of 893.20.  

Investment Property:
No change in my investment property for the month, as I have a current tenant leased until early 2015.  Here is the breakdown:

Loan payment - $845
Rent income - $1300 minus management fees of $130 = $1170
Positive cash flow = $325 monthly

Other:
My other forms of passive income for the month of September included my monthly credit card rewards and my monthly dividend through my bank.  During the month, I received $50.00 in credit card rewards, as I use a rewards card as much as possible to leverage rewards.  In addition, I received $9.15 in a monthly dividend from my bank from my cash balance.  This added $59.15 to my overall passive income for the month. 

Summary:

Overall, I received $389.02 in passive income, which includes my dividends, rewards and investment property.  I invested $2489.20 in fresh capital to my retirement investment and dividend growth accounts.   Not a huge month, but a steady month of investments that I hope will pay off in the long run.  Slow and steady wins the race!! Thanks everyone for checking out the blog and commenting, as I really appreciate it.  

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you're pathing your way. Adding capitals and buying dividend one step at the time. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont let the small amount of dividend payout discourage you. That is going to snowball and will keep growing if you keep investing more capital in it. Best wishes
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R2R.. I can't wait when the snowball takes a life of its own. I'll keep plugging away, little by little!

      Delete
  3. You should have seen my first dividends received. Watch how fast your passive income grows in the coming months as compounding, fresh capital and dividend raises start to take hold of your account. Keep up the good work and look forward to your next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement DivHut! One thing that's easily overlooked is the dividend raises, which can have a significant effect over the long term with capital gains and ongoing DRIPs. In any case, I can't wait to look back year over year and see the growth. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. Agent,

    You've started, and that's what's most important! Things will roll along before you know it.

    It looks like that rental property is treating you quite well!! Great cash flow there.

    Keep up the great work!

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to comment Dividend Mantra. Yea, I can't wait to see the results year over year! The investment property is going nice, so no complaint. It's good when you have a tenant that pays on time, so I'm hoping that keeps up. I'd really like to refinance to further improve my cash flow, so I'm going to check into that within the next few months.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on such a successful month and start to your passive income tracking and growth. You are just at the beginning of the journey and will find a tremendous amount of success as you continue to invest and put assets into place to work for you. I'm looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I'm loving it so far, as it's addictive to see even the smallest amount of dividends to roll in.. Nothing like seeing that cash dividend being reinvested to be even more next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Investing $2,500 a month is no small feat. Your rental property and possible government retirement alone will allow you a nice cushion in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I'd love to be able to throw down 2500 a month, but that's most likely not logical at least for now. I am fortunate though to have a career with a pension, so I'm trying to maximize my retirement fund so I can retire very comfortable.

      Delete
  8. Tsk, tsk, should have done more with that Loyal 3 account! Seriously though, nice work, all told. Didn't know you owned an investment property either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I got to stay on my loyal3 account and leverage the free investing! It's more of an unintentional investment property lol but after leasing it for several years while the market went back up I decided to keep it as an investment.

      Delete