Thursday, October 2, 2014

New Buy - Dividend Growth Investing

Hi everyone,

I’m still working on putting together my September overview, which will detail all stock purchases, dividends received, Thrift Savings Plan ( TSP ) purchases, rental income and other passive income.  However, I wanted to update everyone with a new purchase I made today, as the stock market begins to present buying opportunities.  I planned on adding to my current positions until I reach a suitable amount in each holding, but I’ve been eyeing this stock for awhile, so an exception was made.  With it taking a beating this week, I felt the price was reasonable, so I chose to execute a small position.  I’m talking about Ford Motor Company ( F ).  As a lifetime Ford owner, I love their products obviously and believe in the company, especially after not taking a bailout and effectively screwing shareholders as did other car manufacturers.  I was a previous shareholder in Ford, but sold my position in 2013 for a hefty 90% profit and basically wasted the profits (i.e. before I wised up to DGI). 

Ford is a company that has had its ups and downs, and after a recent bad outlook the stock is trading near 52 week lows.   I scooped up 51 shares of Ford Motor Co. at $14.50 for a total cost basis of $739.50, as I had a freebie with the brokerage.  Ford Motor Co. pays a quarterly dividend of .125 per share, or $0.50 annually.  My entry point of $14.50 puts my Yield on Cost (YOC) at approximately 3.45%, so not a bad initial yield point.  The purchase of F added $25.50 to my estimated annual dividend.  I plan on dripping my dividends to purchase more shares and make Ford a long term holding in my dividend growth portfolio, as long as it continues to pay dividends. 

Short Story

Ford Motor Co. ( F ):  I invested $739.50 at a purchase price of $14.50 for 51 shares.  This adds $25.50 to annual dividends, which are now at $130.94.  This is my 14th position in my portfolio. 


How do you feel about Ford?  Good buy?  I really wanted to add a REIT to my portfolio to take advantage of a higher yield, possibly a monthly payout, but chose to go with F at this price point and decent YOC.  Thanks for reading.  

4 comments:

  1. I havent looked at F in a long time. Although the recent pullback sort of made it pop up on my radar. A lot of my friends are die-hard F fans....and one thing ive noticed with them is that they stick to it - theres a lot of brand loyalty. Thanks for sharing. I will have to take another look at it.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R2R. I'm hoping the investment pays off, as I can't see the stock staying at this level for the long term. In addition , as long as they keep paying a healthy dividend, I'll hold on to the shares. I'll probably keep it as a relatively small holding of my portfolio over the long term. Thanks for checking out the post!

      Delete
  2. Actually owned F a few years ago, but sold. I think the company is decent, but it doesn't meet my criteria for dividend growth. And having family who've worked for the Big 3, I have no real desire to invest in a car company again. But that's just personal opinion; strictly speaking, I think F will be a good investment for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD. I agree, it's not the prototypical DGI stock, as the company has short term issues that may ultimately affect the dividend. I'll probably keep F as a small holding and will ditch if the dividend gets cut.

      Delete