Friday, November 7, 2014

October Dividend Investments and Passive Income Summary


This post will detail my monthly activity for the month of October.  I had a pretty decent month, as I added to my investments in my dividend growth portfolio and my Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account.  During October, I was able to invest a little under $3000 in fresh capital to my investments.  This blew my $1500 monthly goal out the water, so I was very happy with that.  In addition, I’ve been saving for a relatively large buy or two, so I have around $1600.00 ready to be put to work, when I decide on the right stock(s).  In other “passive” income streams, I received $100 in credit card rewards, $10.55 in monthly dividends from my bank, and a positive cash flow of $325 in my investment (rental) property. 

Dividends Received:
 
My dividends received for the month were very dismal.  I received $1.31 from the Coca-Cola Company (KO) and $0.58 from the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group (DPS).  I can’t wait to see these numbers rapidly increasing month over month, as I put my money to work by investing in dividend growth companies. 

Buys:
 
During the month I continued actively contributing to weekly/monthly purchases of my core positions, such as ExxonMobil, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola Company, Target Corp., etc.  I initiated a new position with the Ford Motor Company (F), as I purchased 51 shares at a share price of $14.50.  I’m looking to double that position soon, as I still believe there is value in F and with its nice yield on cost.  In addition, I made some extra purchases of ConocoPhillips (COP) and ExxonMobil (XOM), as the energy sector has been down with low oil prices.  I’m still looking to add to this sector, as I have a few on my short list to initiate a position soon, such as KMI and BP. 
 
I’ve been really leveraging my Loyal3 account to reap the benefits of dollar cost averaging and no fees, as I’ve made weekly purchases in a variety of existing holdings.  I continued to actively invest in the Walt Disney Company (DIS), McDonald’s (MCD), The Coca-Cola Company (KO), Target Corp. (TGT), and Wal-Mart (WMT). 
 
As far as my direct investments, I made monthly purchases in ConocoPhillips (COP), Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM), Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT), and Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ). 
 
 
Retirement Investment Account, Thrift Savings Plan ( TSP ):
 
I continued making by-weekly contributions in my TSP account.  I changed my allocation percentage this month to the following: 

1.  C Fund, Common Stock Index, 52% Allocation
2.  S Fund, Small Cap Index, 28% Allocation
3.  I Fund, International Stock Index, 20% Allocation

 
Investment Property:

I had no changes to my investment property this month, as it is still currently leased and tenant paid the rent on time.   I do plan on trying to refinance the property soon to maximize profit and reinvestment in the property.  Here is the breakdown:

Loan payment - $845
Rent income - $1300 minus management fees of $130 = $1170
Positive cash flow = $325 monthly

Other:
 
I had a few other sources of passive income for the month, which included my monthly credit card rewards and my monthly dividend through my bank.  During the month, I received $100.00 in credit card rewards, which is higher than most months.  I use my reward cards as much as possible to maximize rewards.  In addition, I received $10.55 in a monthly dividend from my bank from my cash balance.   

Summary:
 
My passive income for the month totaled $437.44 and I was able to invest a tad under $3000.00, with additional savings of around $1600 for future investments.  Overall, it was a productive month, as I continue to learn from my fellow bloggers and actively invest in quality companies.  Thank you for reading!
 
Special Agent Dividend

8 comments:

  1. Nice month, Agent Divdend. I like how you have multiple income sources and its so diversified. I follow a similar strategy...although we dont have a rental property...its something on the horizon that we eventually want to get into.

    Congrats on the passive income. Keep up the great work
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rental property can definitely be worrisome, but it's worked out fairly well for me. If I could refinance, I would be able to pay down the principle fairly quickly!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I just got an email from Loyal3 that they are discontinuing the credit cards purchases due to some people are "gaming" the system to get rewards points and not to invest. Well thats a bummer.
    Anyway, good looking passive income you got there! I like how your rental property generates a lot of income. Dont worry about your dividend income, someday we will reach our goal. We just have to keep on working hard and invest. Thanks for sharing your monthly summary.
    FFF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFF! The rental property is doing well, but I would love to refinance to a better interest rate. I'd really be ahead of the game if I could lower my payments and pay off loan that much sooner.

      Delete
  3. Hi special agent dividend

    Its fascinating to see your income coming from many streams including rental. May I ask whats the yield for rental back in the us? Here in asia yield for rental gives you a paltry 2% while dividend gices you more than 5% so many people choose the latter instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B! My rental has a very good yield on an average month, as my take home pay is quite high to my payout. However, the unknowns, such as lack of renters, lack of pay and ongoing maintenance can severely cut into profits. If all is going well, it's a nice passive income source, but can be risky.

      Delete
  4. Looks like the coming months will be showing way more dividends. Good job on the multiple income streams. Keep at it.

    Keep cranking,

    Robert the DividendDreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert! I'm hoping my dividend income keeps growing quickly.. I'll keep buying and adding to my dividends on a weekly basis.

      Delete